If you’re presently exploring your Australian study options, you must be aware by now that English language proficiency test is mandatory to obtain a student visa.
IS ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY TEST MANDATORY?
Students will have to fulfill English language proficiency requirements to obtain admission into the course of their choice and acquire an Australia student visa.
Students are exempted from providing proof of English language proficiency along with their visa application if they come into any of the following categories:
- Students who have accomplished at least five years of study from Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa or the Republic of Ireland
- Students who are citizens and passport holders of the UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland
- Students who have successfully completed the Senior Secondary Certificate of Education or study at Certificate IV level or higher in Australia within two years of applying for a student visa
- Students enrolled full time in school studies as a principal course (including secondary exchange programs), postgraduate research or a standalone ELICOS program
- Foreign Affairs or Defense sponsored students.
All other candidates will have to provide the evidence of English language proficiency.
Happy Clients – A Series of Success Stories
Which English language proficiency tests are accepted in Australia?
There are five English language tests accepted for student visa applications in Australia:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) Internet-based test (paper-based test is accepted from limited countries
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic
It’s essential to remember that for results to be considered, the examination must have been accomplished not more than two years before the application is submitted.
What is the minimum test score required?
Your essential level of English language proficiency may vary depending upon the institution and level of study. For student visa applications, the table below shows the minimum scores required for each test.
|English language test||Minimum test score|
|TOEFL (internet-based test)||46|
It’s necessary to notice that these are the lowest scores needed for a student visa; you will definitely need a higher score to obtain admission to your desired course. For undergraduate courses, the following scores provide an indication of the minimum requirement at most universities:
- IELTS — overall score of 6. 0 to 6.5 (no band less than 6.5)
- TOEFL (internet-based test) — overall score of 60 to 90
- PTE Academic — overall score of 50 to 64.
Lowest scores differ considerably between levels of study and institutions, so it’s advised to verify with individual providers before you apply for certain courses, such as nursing, education or law programs, usually l have précised requirements, while requisites for Vocational Education and Training (VET) courses are generally lower. If you’re not fulfilling the English language requirements